Michael's Portrait Project

My project is going to concentrate on the culture of the high school rodeo athlete/student. Many of the photo books I see emphasize the 'adult' bull-rider, barrel racer, steer wrestler, etc. Not many give any second thought to the high school competitor who is keeping this culture/way-of-life alive in this country and specifically here in the Mid-West.

I have currently emailed the President of the Arizona High School Rodeo Association to receive contact information for the parent(s) of the athletes since these athletes are minors. There is a rodeo coming up on Nov 21 & 22 at the Buckeye Equestrian Center where I hope to shoot this assignment. If need be, and if allowed, I might shoot photos of the athlete at their home/ranch. This is going to be very time sensitive and I'm hoping all the right things fall right into place!!!

My photos will try to capture the passion they have for each of their disciplines. The lens I will primarily use will be either a 50mm/f1.8 or a 60mm/f2.8 micro. Since all the competitors wear cowboy hats, I will bring along a reflector to direct light underneath the brim of the hat to eliminate any harsh shadows.